Univision strengthens itself in Latin America with DirecTV

According to information reported on various specialized websites, the DTH operator DirecTV (AT&T) has added the US Hispanic channel Univision as part of its programming grid, since last May 3rd. The offer is available to the pay TV operator’s prepaid and postpaid customers in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Uruguay. With the announcement of the new agreement, Televisa continues to increase Univision’s distribution and reach in Latin America.

‘We are very happy to add Univision into our programming grid, thus consolidating our content offering, to continue providing the best entertainment and information experience to our subscribers in the region’, reported Juan Gonzalez del Solar, Programming and Content Manager at DirecTV Latin America.

From Univision they have also expressed themselves on the agreement through Fernando Muñiz, General Director at Televisa Networks and Televisa Internacional: ‘Through the Univision channel, millions of people in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Uruguay will be able to access top-notch content. Thus, we will continue to promote the presence of our own productions and in Spanish  throughout the continent’, reported the executive.

Since the beginning of 2021, Univision has been making a series of announcements of great relevance to the industry. After announcing its sale to the SearchLight and ForgeLight investment funds, who acquired 64% of its shares, so that Televisa keeps the remaining 36%; Univision confirmed the acquisition of the Vix platform and the launch of Prende TV, with which it aims to strengthen itself in the AVOD market. In addition, in dialogue with Nextv News Latin America, Rafael Urbina, General Manager & EVP AVOD, Streaming at Univision Communications, confirmed that the company is developing negotiations to integrate Vix and PrendeTV in pay TV operator’s STBs in the US and Latin America. Later, during the first days of April, Univision announced an agreement to combine its assets with Televisa, and create the Televisa-Univision company, which plans to launch a new streaming platform as one of the first projects.

Rafael Urbina is one of the confirmed executives for the panel ‘Opportunities for AVOD in Latin America’, which will open day 2 of the first Nextv Ad Latin America’s virtual edition, and will take place this Thursday, May 27th between 9:00 AM and 9:50 AM (GMT-5 CDMX / COL). Registration for this one and the rest of the conference panels can be done here.