According to the information reported in its Q4 2020 results presentation, Brazilian telecommunications company Oi (Grupo Oi) ended 2020 with almost 9.1 million FTTH HPs. The figure represents 4.5 million more than that reported by the company as of December 31st, 2019 (4.603 million); and 1,177 million FTTH HPs more than the 7.9 million reported at the end of Q3 2020. In addition, the company reported that it plans to end 2021 with between 14.5 and 15 million FTTH HPs.
The Oi report has also informed that, on average, the company added 373 thousand new HPs per month during 2020. In addition, the fiber revenues reported by Oi as of December 31st tripled the ones that the company reported during the same period 2019. The company’s FTTH ARPU during the last three months of the year was R$ 87.2 (USD 15), a figure 6% higher than the R$ 82.3 (USD 14) reported in Q4 2019.
In turn, Oi’s fiber revenues as of December 31st, 2020 belong to the residential sector by 94.9%, and to the B2B sector by the remaining 5.1%. Oi also reported that during the last three months of 2020, fiber accounted for 30% of the company’s total residential sector revenues. The figure shows a 6% growth in relation to Q3 2020 (24%); and a 23% increase compared to Q4 2019 (7%). In addition, Oi’s DTH operations represent 23% of the company’s total residential revenues, a figure similar to that reported in both Q3 2020 and Q4 2019 (23% and 24%, respectively). In August 2020, Oi reported that it is looking to divest itself from its DTH operations.
According to the figures reported by Anatel, Oi ended December with 1.69 million subscribers to its pay TV offer, being the only Brazilian operator that managed to add clients to its base during the last three months of the year. At the end of January, Oi announced it has added Netflix into its IPTV offer, called ‘Oi TV Fibra’. Customers who access the benefit must have an active Netflix subscription, although Oi does not allow it to be paid on its monthly bill. In addition, and as part of its ‘Oi Fibra’ strategic plan, focused on expanding its FTTH services, Oi announced its decision to expand it to São Paulo during 2021. The company plans to cover 400 thousand FTTH HPs in 2021 and reach 2 million FTTH HPs in 2022 in the region, and informed that it already has a 5.2 thousand kilometers fiber network, deployed in strategic locations in São Paulo.