Globosat, Net selected Elemental for Olympics coverage

The main Brazilian programmer, Globosat, has provided a complete coverage during Rio 2016 Olympic Games that included the broadcast of 16 SporTV channels in HD and another 44 channels available via streaming through SporTV Rio 2016 app.  To make this possible, the Brazilian company selected Elemental as its technological partner.

 

Globosat used Elemental video processing to stream live and video-on-demand (VOD) coverage, including catch-up TV functionality. Additionally, the company plans to use solutions from Elemental to support the future deployment of SMPTE 2022-6 (SDI over IP) to efficiently transport media signals over IP networks for reduced complexity and cost.

 

The 16 SporTV channels were fully produced by Globosat and delivered 93% of the live events, explained Roberto Primo, Chief Technology Officer for Globosat, during a meeting with the press. The remaining 7% delivered on the 44 extra channels. The signals were generated at an international broadcast center located in the center of Rio de Janeiro and then transmitted to the Globosat broadcast center. Elemental Live software encoded the content for live OTT delivery, including programming in 4K.  Elemental Live also recorded catch-up TV deliverables for distribution over VOD platforms, including Net Brazil (América Móvil), the main MSO of the country.

 

Both the HD channels and the extra group of 44 channels were available on Net’s lineup for clients with hybrid set-top boxes. For this purpose, Elemental provided Net a full suite of live video encoding and packaging solutions.  This represented the first time Net has used both DVB and IP for live broadcasting services, including a dedicated experimental transmission in 4K.

 

Marcio Carvalho, Marketing and Products Director for Net, told NexTV News Latam that about half of the HD subscriber base are using hybrid STBs. In turn, the experimental transmission in 4K were tested using Sagemcom STBs.

 

Additionally, Net used AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Service’s serverless compute offering, to insert static images into broadcast channels during “blackout” periods, when there was no event or content was unavailable.

 

The press event was held on August 17 at Globosat headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, with Elemental, Globosat and Net. The CEO and co-founder of the Portland-based company, Sam Blackman was also present in the event.