ETB strengthens its FTTH growth, which already represents 58% of its fixed customers base

As part of its Q1 2021 financial results presentation, the Empresa de Telecomunicaciones de Bogota (ETB) reported that its FTTH customer base increased by 5.6% so far this year, and ended Q1 2021 with 520 thousand subscribers, adding 27 thousand new customers compared to the 493 thousand reported at the end of 2020. In addition, the fiber segment already represents 40% of the company’s operating income.

Likewise, in TV, the company started the year with a 2.7% growth: it ended 2020 with 138 thousand subscribers, and by March 31st, it added 4 thousand more clients, and totaled  142 thousand.

ETB also reported that, during the first three months of 2021, it managed to keep the fixed service clients growth. The company ended Q1 with 904 thousand subscribers in this area, a figure that represents 3 thousand more clients in relation to the 901 thousand with which it ended last year. In addition, of the 904 thousand fixed clients, the already mentioned 520 thousand FTTH clients represent 58% of ETB’s fixed service client portfolio. The remaining 42% belongs to copper customers, which ended Q1 with 383 thousand users; 25 thousand less in relation to the last three months of 2020.

As of March 31st, 2021, 75% of ETB’s broadband client portfolio was connected via FTTH. Of the 694 subscribers in this segment, 518 thousand belong to this technology. In turn, between December 31st, 2020 and March 31st, 2021, ETB added 28 thousand broadband clients via FTTH, since it ended Q4 2020 with 490 thousand clients in this segment. The remaining 25% belongs to broadband clients via copper, an area that ended March with 177 thousand clients, 16 thousand less compared to the last quarter of 2020.

In February, ETB announced the launch of new 500 megabytes internet plans via FTTH; as well as it has confirmed a new partnership agreement with DirecTV (AT&T), through which ETB’s FTTH clients who hire the OTT DirecTV GO and add it to their offer, will be able to access 90 live TV channels and more than 10 thousand series and movies titles, with a 25% discount on the monthly subscription for one year. An agreement between ETB and Ufinet was also announced to market a neutral FTTH network for the wholesale telecommunications market in Bogota.